Important step in sport development is statistical arrangement. Let me say some examples in other sports:
1) What is a percentage of Ole Einar Bjorndalens shooting in standing and prone position?
2) How many knock-out victories has Vladimir Klichko?
3) How many World Cup victories has Marit Bjoergen?
4) Who is the best tennis player against Roger Federer?
5) What is the fastest serve speeds of Maria Sharapova?
6) Who has best rebounds score in the basketball team Los Angeles Lakers?
Such kind of statistic information is VERY important for funs, TV-speakers, media (and for coaches as well).
1. In your opinion, what is the current situation with such statistical arrangement in Orienteering?
2. What kind of indicators, statistical aggregates, profile characteristics can we use in Orienteering (to make better information content in our sport)?
1. Compared to the sports you mention there is a lack of statistics. I previously haven't noticed so to me this is no big deal, but I get your point.
2. One can always summarize WOC medals and make the same kind of table for athletes (sum of all WOCs ever) as for countries (after each WOC). Extremely unfair to old time heroes due to increasing number of WOC races, but fair enough in order to compare runners from the same time period. In Norway, for each Norwegian Champs (NM) distance there is "Adelskalenderen" ranking orienteers of all time by their top 10 results from NM, scoring 10 points for victory and 1 point for 10th place. More sophisticated methods can surely produce far more fancy stats, and I guess there are enough creative & smart orienteers around for that task.
P.S. Photo from World of O: WOC victory in Relay (2013, Finland)!
Your opinion is important to set up priorities! Please, mark one or more points from list:
- Relay performance/skills
- Complete/detailed results overview, including historical statistics/ranking
- Statistics of different legs types
- Pacing/speed analysis
- Safety/mistakes analysis
Explanations and comments of these points you can read in the post Leonid Novikov tells about future of sport statistics in Orienteering.
Click button "ГОЛОСОВАТЬ" to VOTE.